The Android-x86 project is glad to release the new stable version 1.6 to the public. The live cd iso and usb image are available from our site, as usual:
Test reports (success or fail) are welcome as always. Please send the reports to the Android-x86 discussion group. If you are working on Android for x86 platform, welcome to join us. See the below contact information.
Android-x86 1.6 is based on the Android 1.6, aka the Donut branch. We fixed and added many x86 specified code to let the system runs smoothly on x86 platforms, especially for netbooks. The key features of this release contain
* Kernel 2.6.29 with KMS enabled. Most netbooks can run Android-x86 in the native resolution.
* Hardware OpenGL support on i915/i945 family chipsets. This feature improves greatly the performance of 3D effect and video playback. It is turned on by default if the i915 driver is available. However, if you have trouble with it, you can disable it by adding HWACCEL=0 to the cmdline. (by olv from 0xlab)
* Wifi and Ethernet support. Both are configured from the GUI.
* A new text based GUI installer which supports ext3/ext2/ntfs/fat32 filesystems.
* Support basic bluetooth for builtin device and external bluetooth dongle.
* Keyboard layout is configurable. Ten layouts are supported in this release. To use this feature, you have to install Android-x86 to harddisk and reboot after changing the setting.
* Fn hotkeys support for Eee PC platforms.
* Add touch features to simulate Home/Menu/Back keys, useful for touchscreen only devices.
* Add software mouse cursor. Mouse wheel is also supported.
In addition to the key features, here is the list of all other improvements
* Better keyboard support, including PageUp, PageDown, and so on. The Ctrl key is usable in the Terminal emulator.
* Touchscreen support for Eee PC T91 and Eee Top.
* External usb drive and sdcard are auto mounted on plugging.
* Add shutdown and reboot dialog. To invoke it, press the power button.
* A hotplug tool to load driver firmwares.
* Audio and Camera support.
* Drivers auto detection.
* Battery status.
* Suspend to RAM and wakeup.
* Adjustable Alarm Clock volume.
* Add proxy setting.
* Be able to su in the Terminal emulator.
* Software keyboard is workable.
* Support larger resolutions.
* Chinese Pinyin IME works correctly.
* Add video player.
* Add more sample applications.
* Add third party applications, include
o OpenIntents File Manager.
o ConnectBot ssh client.
o AndAppStore client 1.5.8.
o LIME IME 1.6.3.
o RockOn 1.4.8 For Android.
* Compressed filesystem (squashfs).
* Debug mode including busybox.
* NDK for x86 platforms is supported.
* Live CD iso: android-x86-1.6.iso
* Live USB image: android-x86-1.6_usb.img.gz
As uaual, the source code is available in our git server:
$ repo init -u git://git.android-x86.org/platform/manifest.git -b donut-x86
$ repo sync
Read this article for how to compile the source code.
* Google group: Android-x86
* IRC channel at irc.freenode.net #android-x86